Custom dental guards are made of plastic and designed to fit the exact shape of your teeth. They are usually recommended for patients with teeth grinding, breathing problems while sleeping, or athletes who’d like dental protection to avoid mouth injuries.
Dental guards can be customized depending on your needs. Both nightguards and sports guards are meant to protect your teeth from various causes. Dr. Sunistch will review your specific case to offer the best option.
Dental night guards are made of clear, strong plastic and are meant to be used every night. It helps absorb the force caused by teeth clenching, sleep issues, and TMJ syndrome (Temporomandibular joint dysfunction).
While dental night guards are not a direct treatment for these dental complications, they can reduce possible teeth damage and improve sleep quality.
Dental sports guards are also made to fit and protect your teeth but are made of thicker, usually opaque plastic. They help athletes prevent damage to the mouth and cheeks from injuries caused during sports.
Although generic sports guards are usually available without a prescription, customized guards help reduce the risk of bodily harm and enhance the athlete's performance.
Bruxism or teeth grinding is common among children and adults. It causes headaches, jaw, and dental pain because of the pressure applied to teeth while sleeping.
Some of the treatments include stress management, sleep medication, and therapy. The dental approach focuses on reducing harm to your mouth and teeth. Dr. Sunistch will review your symptoms to diagnose bruxism and offer a dental guard customization.
These are some of the benefits dental night guards offer to patients:
- Reduces harmful effects of teeth grinding
- Helps relieve headaches caused by teeth clenching
- Reduces jaw, molar, and cheek pain
- Could Prevent air obstructions while sleeping (apnea)
- Could reduce snoring
- Protects teeth and jaws from the applied pressure
- Helps release jaw pain caused by TMJ syndrome
- They are removable and comfortable appliance
Some of the benefits customized sports guards offer to athletes include the following:
- It provides proper dental protection for contact sports.
- It does not cause difficulty in speaking, unlike generic sports guards.
- Reduces the risk of jaw, teeth, and cheek injuries during all sports, even for athletes who use braces.
- It optimizes oxygen flow, enhancing the athlete's performance.
Mouthguards can last up to 10 years with optimal care. We recommend the following:
- Rinse it with cold water since using hot temperatures could warp it.
- Wash your mouthguard before and after each use.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean it off.
- Store it in a dry and clean container.
- If you notice discomfort, visit your dentist for a check-up and possible replacement.
During your night or sports guard consultation, Dr. Sunistch will review your overall dental health.
After creating impressions of your upper and lower teeth, molds will be sent to the laboratory. Once your custom guards are made, your dentist will make all the adjustments to ensure the right fit.
If you’d like to reduce sleep bruxism or prevent injuries during sports, Pine Desert Dental offers custom dental guards that help maintain optimal oral health.
Dr. Zach Sunitsch and the Pine Desert Dental team can handle all your dental needs. He is an active member of the American Dental Association, the Oregon Dental Association, and the Academy of General Dentistry. We offer comprehensive dental services, including preventative dental care.
If you’d like to have a dental cleaning or regular check-up, call us at (541) 549-0109 or request an appointment online. You can also visit us at our clinic in Sisters, Oregon.